Mole Valley Poets
What we offer
- A supportive space in which members can hone their poetic skills and learn from each other.
- An opportunity to explore different styles and schools of poetry through sessions led by members.
- Opportunities to participate in public events – e.g. poetry pubs, library readings.
- A link to the Poetry Society as a member of a Poetry Stanza.
- Regular monthly meetings.
- Workshops with established poets.
What we expect from members
- Regular attendance at meetings whether one is presenting or not.
- Periodic contributions to the educational portion of the evening by making a presentation on a poet or some aspect of poetry and responding to presentations.
- Engagement in active listening of fellow members' poetry.
- Constructive criticism of fellow members' poetry in workshop sessions.
- Acceptance of constructive criticism as tools we employ to improve our own work.
- To be active poets in that we not only write poetry but we study it, pay attention to what's going on in journals and magazines.
- Payment of dues in a timely fashion (currently £20 pa due in January each year, arrangements for part years for new members available).
- We treat poetry as a craft, we treat our own poems as artefacts which can be improved.
- Self expression and performance are both elements of poetry but these are not the focus of the monthly meetings.
- Our monthly meetings are not performances but workshops where the hard work of craft is learned.
- The group works best when each member commits to sustaining the group as a place of both support and critique.
- Opportunities to perform and reach a wider audience are provided through Poetry Pubs and other events.