Guidelines for Giving Constructive Feedback
- If several people have poems for discussion, 10 - 12 minutes are allocated per
poem, so that everyone has an equal opportunity for considered feedback.
- The author gives out copies of their poem and reads this aloud.
The rest of the group then discuss the poem while the author remains silent.
- The group does not question the author until after the general
discussion. This makes it easier for the group to discuss the poem freely and
for the author to hear the feedback, without the need to justify what they
- The group first comment on what worked for them in the poem and why,
giving specific examples. e.g. specific lines, images, impressions.
- The group then discuss what did not work for them, and why, and make
suggestions for improvements or alterations.
- The author is then invited to comment on the feedback.